When Will and I started dated, one of the first things we discovered we had in common was a love for the TV show Psych. Since Will had cable and I didn't, dinner and watching Psych quickly became our Wednesday routine. For those who don't know, the symbol for the show is a Pineapple, and there was at least one hidden in every episode. To this day, we still text each other pictures whenever we find a hidden pineapple, and the fruit played a key role in many of wedding decorations (most people just thought we were being welcoming).
So when Season 8...the season after we got married...was announced to be the last season of Psych, we knew we had to do something. Keeping in the tradition of our Wednesday night dinners, we planned an 8 course meal (one dish for each season) of Psych themed foods, and invited some friends to come watch the finale with us. Here is our menu:
1. Santa Barbara Skies (cocktail): Named for the opening number in Psych: The Musical
Pineapple juice, cherry syrup, Sprite, and rum
Do not forget the umbrellas staked through a slice of pineapple and a cherry!
Also, to really do right, it should be chilled with a brain-shaped ice-cube (yes, this is a real thing, and is the usual ice-cube shape in our house...well, that and Han Solo in Carbonite cubes).
2 and 3. Pineapple-mango salsa and Guacamole: Inspired by Shawn and Gus' love of anything you can dip a chip into.
4. Carlton's Cheese and Crackers: Speared with swords, in honor of Lassiter's Civil War reenactments. Salty with a hint of sweetness. Just like Carlton.
5. Fruit Loop Quesadillas: Why? Because Shawn and Gus served them from their food truck.
Fruit Loops, peppers, onions, bacon*, cheese**
It was while serving these that we remembered one of the friends we had invited was a chef. He pronounced them "not bad", and said he could see them being served as bar food.
6. Pizza-Chili Cheese Fries: Because Shawn and Gus eat them, and Will wanted to try it too.
French Fries, baked beans, pinto beans, chili/tomato sauce (vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes, spices), mozzarella cheese
7. Jamaican (jerk chicken) Inspector Man Pizza: Inspired by Gus' show-stopping number in Psych: the Musical
Pizza dough, chicken marinated in jerk spices, pineapple, onions, peppers, cheese**
8. Pineapple Upside-down Cake: Because pineapples, that's why.
Yellow cake, pineapples, cherries, rum, brown sugar, vanilla
(I ran into some difficulties with the pineapples... they sort of broke when I sliced them.)
*We used turkey bacon
**Make it kosher-style by using a non-dairy cheese substitute