Check out the book I'm writing!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Book Review: Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Store

When I posted a recommendation for this book on Facebook, I was surprised by the number of my friends who asked me for other recommendations. Which leads me to think (perhaps mistakenly) that people are interested in my views on books. So, for those of you who are, here's my first book review.

Title: Mr. Penumbra's 25 Hour Book Store

Summary: Set in post dotcom boom America during our current recession, the unemployed Clay Jannon accidentally finds a job working the night shift at a 24 hour bookstore. He's entranced by the atmosphere of the small shop, but is most interested in its unusual clientele. His investigation leads to a quest of not-quite-epic proportions, as he recruits the help of his unusually talented friends along the way to solve an age-old mystery. I'm afraid I can't say more about it without risking spoilers.

My description: When I attempted to explain this book to my husband, I said, it's science-fiction without the science fiction, fantasy without the fantastic, and epic without epic-ness (is that a word?). But mostly its about books, technology, and the people who love them. This may sound boring, but trust me, it isn't.

Age appropriate/kid friendly/morality: There is some alluded to pre-marital sex, but I have read YA novels that are more graphic. I would say it's appropriate for 7th grade and above, but I don't think they would enjoy/appreciate it. This is an adult novel, not because it has adult themes, so much as there is a certain level of maturity and life experience to really love it for what it is.

Recommended: Absolutely. A must for anyone who loves books for their own sakes, this book is in someways a love letter to its readers. Don't be surprised if you feel guilty reading the electronic copy.

No comments: