Check out the book I'm writing!

Friday, May 25, 2012

Love Story: Part One

It turns out grad school doesn't leave a lot of time for blogging, and a lot has happened since I last posted. But here is the story of the biggest thing that has happened.


"Why don't you sign up for OkCupid.com?" That was my friend Jules' suggestion when I complained about how long it had been since I last dated. I followed her advice, and before I had even finished making my profile I had my first message. If you are a woman who has ever tried online dating, then you know the number of messages you receive can be overwhelming. But as I sifted through all the garbage I received, I began an online conversation with the first messenger, which involved, amongst other things, a daily exchange of riddles.

After a couple of weeks, I suggested we move our conversation to e-mail, and a little while after that, Will and I met in person at a local coffee shop (after I used the university website and Facebook to check that he really was a grad student like he claimed).

I arrive at the coffee shop five minutes early. Will was 10 minutes late. I found out later that we had arrived at almost the same time, but he was so nervous that he had walked around the building several times to calm himself down before he went in. Once he entered, he joined me at my table, and we talked for about half an hour before deciding to walk around the nearby lake while continuing our conversation.

Two hours later, I suddenly realized how much time had passed and called my roommate (who was standing by to make sure everything was all right) to reassure her that all was well. Three hours later, Will and I realized that we'd been talking for five hours on such important subjects as our research fields and favourite X-Men. Neither of us had eaten before meeting up, so we parted ways.

When I got home, I sent Will a text to tell him I'd had a nice time )which was also my way of giving him my phone number), and by the end of the evening we had plans to meet later that week.

No comments: