Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, July 18, 2011

Don't be like George

If I had to pick one picture book from my childhood that sums up my family, it would be Loudmouth George and the Big Race. My little brother and I grew up in a running family, a rather rarer occurrence when we were children than today. So finding a children's book about training for and running a road race was a pleasant surprise.

In the story, George, a rabbit, and his other animal friends are excited when a race is going to be held in their town. But every time a friend asks George if he wants to train, George has an excuse for why he can't, and finishes by saying "I'll start my training tomorrow". I won't ruin the ending for you, though it's pretty much exactly what you think it is.

"Being like George" quickly became an expression in family to mean procrastinating on something. Whenever my brother or said that we would do something later, or tomorrow, we'd get the response, "All right, George". The warning was clear: Procrastinate on this and you will probably dislike the results.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, I'm afraid I've a bit of a George this past week. Helping at my church's Vacation Bible School (outside, chasing small children around for several hours each morning) left me exhausted, and I hit my snooze alarm each morning with the promise that I'd get up earlier tomorrow to run. And then, suddenly, the week was over and I hadn't put in any  milage.

So, I'm back on my training schedule this week (10 mile long run!), and back to the pact my running partner and I made when we started training together. No excuses. Don't be like George.

No comments: