Check out the book I'm writing!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Coffee Chronicles: Day Two

For years now, I have carried a heavy burden. I tried to ignore it, to pretend it wasn’t there. I tried compensating for it and excusing it away. But now it’s time to come clean. I don’t like coffee.  I love the smell of it, but I can’t stand the taste. And now, after years of asking for a cup of tea after dinner, or simply doing without, I’ve decided it’s time I learn to like coffee.

The motivation came in the form of a gift. A bag of coffee beans given to me just before Christmas. As I accepted the beans, I decided then and there I was going to learn to like coffee. So now, I invite you to join me on my journey to learn to appreciate this American breakfast staple.

Day Two:

I slept in this morning, then slowly went about setting up for my next cup of coffee. I poured 1/3 a cup of milk, then warmed it up in the microwave for a few seconds while the coffee brewed. The coffee was just starting to brew when I remembered...the Farmer's Market! I had to go pick up my CSA this morning! I stuck my cup of milk in the fridge, then dressed while the coffee finished brewing. I turned off the coffee maker, and rushed out the door. 

When I got back, I finished making my cup of coffee, warmed it up in the microwave, and sat down to blog about it.

Mixture Ingredients: 1/3 milk, 2/3 coffee, 1 tblsp. sugar

Results: Palatable. Which is to say I didn't feel the urge to spit it out. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but I was able to drink the whole cup. No use messing with a good (or at least, acceptable) thing, so I'm going to stick to this combo for a few days and see if it grows on me.


No comments: