Check out the book I'm writing!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Coffee Chronicles: Day One

For years now, I have carried a heavy burden. I tried to ignore it, to pretend it wasn’t there. I tried compensating for it and excusing it away. But now it’s time to come clean. I don’t like coffee.  I love the smell of it, but I can’t stand the taste. And now, after years of asking for a cup of tea after dinner, or simply doing without, I’ve decided it’s time I learn to like coffee.

The motivation came in the form of a gift. A bag of coffee beans given to me just before Christmas. As I accepted the beans, I decided then and there I was going to learn to like coffee. So now, I invite you to join me on my journey to learn to appreciate this American breakfast staple.

Day One:

10:00 a.m. I opened the four –cup Mr. Coffee coffee maker I bought over break, set it up, and ran it through one empty cycle to clean, as per the directions. Then I realized I didn’t have any filters.

10:30 Went to Publix to buy coffee filters and several other items I needed.

11:30 Cleaned and set up the coffee bean grinder I bought over break.

11:45 Ground a cup of coffee beans

11:50 Pressed the ‘on’ switch and watched in anticipation as the first cup of coffee I’ve ever made started to brew.

*Mixture Ingredients: 2/3 milk, 1/3 coffee, 3/4 tblsp. Sugar (which I figure is still way less than a Starbuck Carmel Macchiato)
* Measurements are estimated 

Results: Ummm….gross. I only managed to drink about ½ the mixture, and almost spit it back out. The main problem, I think, was too much milk. The milk cooled the coffee down to room temperature (ick) and tasted, well, like milk, another beverage I don’t really like the taste of. Tomorrow I’ll try less milk and more sugar. The ultimate goal is to drink the coffee straight, or with just a little milk, without wanting to spit it out. 





1 comment:

Rachel said...

The secret to tasty proportions of coffee and cream: color. Regular brewed coffee with milk or cream should, in my opinion, look something like this: pic

Hierarchy of creamers by deliciousness:

Half-and-half > milk > heavy cream > ... > that weird powdery stuff in plastic canisters