Check out the book I'm writing!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I am Thankful for... (Part 2)

...the church and friends I've found since I moved.

When I moved off to graduate school, I was excited, but also nervous. I don't make friends easily, and I didn't want to spend two years alone with my books.

So one of my first priorities after I moved was to find a home church. I was expecting to have to do some church shopping, so my first Sunday here I went to the closest church to my house- it was walking distance. When I arrived, I was immediately welcomed and greeted as a visitor. People seemed genuinely happy I had come. All the pastors came up and introduced themselves to me, and then the sermon was about faith being like a marathon. I decided to come back the next week.

The next week, one of the pastors came up to say hello again, and ask me what I was studying. I said "Classics". The pastor started to ask me if I knew... But before he could finish, the person in the pew in front of me turned around, and it was Rachel, a fellow Classics student whom I'd already met when we discovered a shared interest in spinning.

The church has now become my home church, I'm involved in the Young Adult's Group, and play handbells. And through that church, I've made many friends here.

I truly feel at home here now, thanks in no small part to my church and friends.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Emma! I am so happy to hear how well you are doing. Your genuine thankfulness inspires me! Especially in the season of Thanksgiving :) Thank you for sharing your stories... I love reading your blog. Miss you!