Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, November 22, 2010

I am Thankful for... (Part 1)

In honour of Thanksgiving, I will be sharing what I am thankful for this week.


I am thankful for...
Being able to Knit

You often don't appriciate the things you have until you lose them. For example, I never really gave to much thought about my wrists. Oh, I probably noticed them a little more than most people, since I was percussionist in Middle and High school, and a Knitter ever since then. My wrists were the tools of my trade. But I never realy stopped to think how much stress I was putting them through, or how wonderful it was that they worked without pain.

Then I got carpal tunnel syndrom. And suddenly, I was acutely aware of my wrists. It started as small twinges of pain when I typed or knitted, then grew to where I could barely move them without pain. I went to the doctor's, got put on prescription NSAIDs for a short period of time, worked and slept in wrist braces, constantly dunked my arms in ice water, and prayed I wouldn't have to have surgery.

Well, I'm still sleeping in wrist braces, and I still ice regularily, but it looks like I no longer have to worry about surgery. You see, I'm typing this post right now without any pain. Typing! With no pain! A month ago, this would have seemed like an impossibilty. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to do every day things without pain.

But best of, Saturday night I was able to knit for a whole hour without any pain. There's not enough time for me to catch up and knit all the Christmas gifts I'd wanted to, but I can knit again.

And for that, I am grateful. 

No comments: