Check out the book I'm writing!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Mid-Week Adventure

Today, I'd like to tell you about my Wednesdays.

Wednesday, as we all know, represents the mid-point in the work week. Back when I was in grade school, we had "Wonderful Wednesday"- which meant school ended an hour earlier on that day. I've also been told that my Alma Mater, Mercer, used to have their own version of Wonderful Wednesday, and that Wednesdays used to not have any classes. There is, I think, a good reasoning behind these practices, which is that come Wednesday, you need a little extra time to recover for the first 1/2 of the week, and a little extra time to prepare for the next 1/2.

Ever Wednesday my alarm goes off at 6:00 a.m., like it does every weekday. And every Wednesday, I roll over and reset it for 6:30 a.m., like I do every weekday. But when it goes off the second the time, after struggling to consciousness, I remind myself that my class isn't until 11:15, and that as long as I'm on campus before 8:30, I can usually find a good parking place. Besides, I'm tired from staying up late Monday and Tuesday to finish work, and have everything finished for class that needs to be. So I reset my alarm for 7:00, and go back to sleep.

I get up when my alarm goes off at 7:00, and begin to slowly make my preparations for the day; brush teeth, get dressed, then head into the kitchen to make breakfast. At this point, it's usually around 7:15. As I walk towards the kitchen, there's something nagging me in the back of my mind. Something I've forgot. Then it hits me.

Monday and Friday, my first class is at 11:15. But on Wednesday, I have a once-weekly class that meets at 8:00. And today is WEDNESDAY!

I instantly become a flurry of activity, grabbing notebooks and stuffing them in my bag, searching for my reading glasses, packing up my computer, and reassuring myself that I can grab a granola bar from my kitchen on the way out for breakfast. I get everything packed, fill my water bottle, decide I can go one day a week without makeup for the sake of arriving on time, and rush out the door. I make it to school with minutes to spare, park, and run to class, always making it just in time. I sit through the lecture, then head down to my office in the basement where I make a devastating discovery: I forgot my granola bar.

The thing is, this hasn't just happened once or twice. It happens every. single. Wednesday. Now I ask, who would schedule an 8:00 a.m. class smack dab in the middle of the week? Hmmm? Someone who has it in for poor grad students, if you ask me. But at least it guarantees I have an exciting morning once a week.

No comments: