Check out the book I'm writing!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Dude, It's Like an Ancient Flamethrower!

So, I was like reading Thucydides the other night (for, like, class, duh), and mostly he's like all about this war, and like, all names and dates and stuff, so I'm just reading along, right? And then there's like this passage, right? And I'm totally like "whoa, dude", 'cause it's totally an ancient flamethrower.

Check it: "They sawed a great beam in two, hollowed it out completely, then fitted the two parts precisely together again, like a pipe; at the far ends they suspended a cauldron on chains, with an iron nozzle curving down into it from the beam [....] Wherever they got it close, they applied large bellows to their end of the beam and made them blow. The pipe was airtight so the blast went straight through to the cauldron, which was full of lighted charcoal, sulphur, and pitch. The result was a huge flame which set fire to the wall" (Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War  4.100, trans. Martin Hammond)

And I was like, "how cool is that? Maybe those Greeks aren't so boring." So I like googled it, right? And I totally found this sketch of it here (scroll down).


P.S. I actually do like reading Thucydides.

P.P.S. I've decided that discipline of keeping up with my blog is good for me, so I'm going to start blogging regularly again. The one big change is that, because I don't have much time for creative writing, Wednesdays are often going to be my thoughts on what I'm reading or translations of Latin poetry ('cause I'm cool like that).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magna- What was, like, that , like, all about? lol

Emma said...

I was like, I don't know, like wanting to try writing different. :)