Check out the book I'm writing!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Making a Home

 While this week has been spent taking care of such things as registering for classes and taking care of paperwork, the main part of my week seems to have been the process of turning my small apartment into a home.

 Whilel it's still not finished, I've made a lot of progress. My kitchen and dining area, which is also where my desk is, has all been put together and organized, as has been my living room. I think the moment for me that everything really came together was when I finally hung up my pictures. I say pictures, but really most of what I have are framed posters and artwork.  All of them have meaning to me, and many were bought from the different places that I have lived and visited.  In adding them to the decor of my little  apartment, I seem to be adding a little bit of myself to it as well.

I still have a lot of learning to do, like how to cook in the kitchen small enough for me to touch both walls, and get dressed in the bathroom where my hands hit the ceiling. But I think the name Hobbit House truly does suit my new little home. After all,  Tolkien says "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort." My house may be small, but it is also a place that is comfortable.


I still have one more room to finish putting together, and will hopefully finish tomorrow so I can put pictures of my apartment up for you. In the meantime, I'd like to leave you with another quote from Tolkien. "It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”"


More information on hobbits:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbit

No comments: