Check out the book I'm writing!

Sunday, July 25, 2010

What You Have

I seem to have fallen a but behind on my blogging. My excuses are 1) I'm lazy, 2) I'm busy getting ready to move, and 3) I've developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand. This means /i can only type with my left hand and because of 1) and 2) I haven't taken the time to slowly peck out a post.

It really is true that you don't know what you have until you lose it. Recently, it seems everyone in my family has had an injury that keeps them from doing what they love. Both my parents have had injuries that kept them from running, and now I can't knit or spin.

Knitting is a pretty big part of my life, but I didn't realize how big until I couldn't do it. I've not knit for over a week now, and it's actually having an effect on me. I'm more irritable and less productive. With knitting to help me unwind (no pun intended- if it was, I would have used spinning), I've felt more stressed out than before.

While I've appreciated what knitting has done in my life, I never really stopped to appreciate what a gift being able to knit is. I have money to spare to buy yarn, time to spare to knit, and (up until last year) two healthy hands to knit with. I took my craft for granted.

I guess, ultimately, there's a lot of things in my life I've taken for granted much to often. My family, my job,  my health. My hand will heal, but there are so many people who've had injuries that won't, or have lost a loved one. Frustrating as my injury has been, I'm trying to make it into an opportunity to appreciate all the things I take for granted.

No comments: