Check out the book I'm writing!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Housesitting 2.0

You might remember that around this time last year I did some housesitting. You can see those posts here and here. Well, I'm housesitting for the same family, and the pets are up to their usual antics. Let me introduce you to them:

First, there is a fish (who is hiding in his castle at the moment, so no picture). I'm not sure what the fish's name is. No one told me, and the only thing it says on my list of things to do is "feed the fish once a day". However, last year's housesitting post tells me the then-fish's name was Nim (from "Nim's Island" I presume), so we'll go with that.

Next, there's a cat, who is, for the most part, invisible. The cat is also not named on my to-do list, but I'm pretty sure his/her name is Oreo (or "That-Darn-Cat!" one or the other).

And then, there's these two:


Lance and Olivia (Lance is on the left here...I think)

Lance and Olivia are Somewhat Sad Puppies right now. They are wonder where their People are, and why this strange Person who can't even tell them apart is here. Which may explain last night and this morning.

You see, the dogs are not allowed on the furniture. They know this. I know this. They know I know this. So I have no explanation for why when I rolled over in bed last night I saw this:



(this time I know it's Lance)

But honestly, how can you get upset at a face like that. He clearly knows he shouldn't be on the bed, but his People are gone and well...I let him stay (plus, he's kinda heavy. I tried to shove him off and he just gave me a look that said "Really?")

Now, my helpful little list told me that around 7:00 a.m. I should let the dogs out in the yard, feed them, then walk them. But I remembered from last time that they started whining to go out around 6:00, so I set my alarm accordingly.

At exactly 5:38, a paw hit my shoulder. I opened my eyes and saw Lance sitting sphinx-like on the bed, looking at me expectantly. I calmly explained to him that I did not, in fact, have to let him out until 7, but that I was planning to letting him out a whole hour earlier if he would please let me go back to sleep. He wagged his tail and sat up, and Olivia, who had been politely sleeping on the dog bed, came over and stuck her nose in my face. It was clearly a conspiracy. I sighed, and got up.

After letting the dogs out, I figured I might as well feed them, so I went into the garage to get their food. When I switched on the light, I was surprised to see the cat, who had henceforth been invisible. "Good morning," I said, and he immediately launched into a chorus of "meows" and a show of affection, rubbing against my hand. Once assured of my attention, he hopped over to his food bowl. Oh. That's what he wanted.

I fed the cat and dogs (the fish was laying at the bottom of his bowl, but I didn't feel like checking to see if he was alive), walked the dogs, and got my own food. As I'm writing this, the fish is now swimming, the dogs are laying next to my feet, the cat is once again invisible, and I 'm going back to bed. Wake me in half an hour.


(P.S. I apologize for any typos. I have tendonitis in my right wrist, so am typing this entirely left handed.)

No comments: