Check out the book I'm writing!

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tree Thoughts

It’s the silence that will kill you.

I could stand still for days, months, years, content to just move with the wind in my branches.

But to hear it, to hear it all – the birds, the ants, the whispers of lovers – to hear it and not be able to tell – that’s what kills me.

***

When they were younger, they would listen to me. Would wrap their warm, soft arms around my trunk and press their ears against my bark. They were listening for my breath, they said, or my heartbeat. My song.

Or laying on their back on a windy day, arms tucked under their heads, they would listen to my leaves and call out the poems they heard in them.

***
But they are older now. And no one listens to a tree.

2 comments:

Christy Z said...

Wonderful!

Emma said...

Thanks! :)