Check out the book I'm writing!

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Writing Workshop

One last post before I go out of town and have limited internet access. 

While reading Thomas Thorspecken's blog about a month ago, I saw a sketch he'd made at a writing workshop. The thought of attending such a workshop appealed to me, so I followed his link to MAD about Words, and saw registration was open for a workshop in Flash Fiction. Not sure what that was, I googled it and discovered that flash fiction is fiction in 1,000 words or less- which is about 80% of what I write anyways. It seemed like a perfect fit for me, so I signed up.

I really enjoyed the workshop, and the opportunity to be with other people who took their writing seriously. As part of the workshop we were asked to write on separate slips of paper a word, an emotion, and a frame for a story (post-it notes, a letter, sitting at a diner, etc.). Then we mixed them up and picked one for each category. I drew "invasion", "judgmental", and "the song you never heard". Then we were told that the word was the title of the story, the emotion the tone, and we had to write within the given framework. We had just under an hour to write a piece of flash fiction.

At first, my frame gave me some trouble. Should I write song lyrics? But then it would be that a song that was heard. In the end, I came up with the following. Enjoy! (203 words, by the way)


Invasion
           
 She finally relaxed, letting the music wash over her, taking comfort in the empty a seat to her left and the torn up ticket on the sidewalk.

Now she could breathe again. There was no guilt, just peace. The concert had been her idea anyway, and now she could enjoy it. Could enjoy everything.

She closed her eyes as the music built up, louder and louder, taking her heart with it. Then, with a final crash, it faded into silence, into peace. And so did she.

***
He came out of nowhere. Must have snuck in while she was in the bathroom. Because when she returned after intermission, there he was, grinning.
            
“You know, they keep everything on computers these days. You don’t need a piece of paper to get in. Just your ID.
            
She didn’t answer. She would have to climb over him to get to her seat. Was it worth it?
            
“Look, I just want to talk, OK? Let’s enjoy the rest of the concert, then go somewhere quiet.”
            
She shook her head. She was done with talking, done with it all.
           
The orchestra was warming up again, getting to begin their next piece, She left before it started. 

2 comments:

Bevdotcom said...

This must have been a challenging but fun exercise. You did quite well and I enjoyed it.

Emma said...

Thanks!