Check out the book I'm writing!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Untangled

Another knitting-as-a-metaphor-for-life post (sorry)


Last night I was untangling things, both literally and metaphorically. Nothing particularly bad happened yesterday, but a lot of little things that have been building up for a while reached the tipping point, and I just couldn't handle it any more.

Normally, when I'm upset, I turn to knitting, but I'd just finished a project, and really didn't have the motivation to start another one.

I remembered the the giant tangle I had made when trying to wind my own yarn, and while normally untangling yarn just makes me frustrated, for someone reason, the idea appealed to me.

So I pulled the tangle into my lap, and bagin to pick at it, gently teasing out strands, and following loops to their starting points. And the strange thing was, while I was working out the yarn tangles with my hands, my other tangles were being worked out in my mind.

There is still a knot in the yarn. It's much smaller than the one I started with, but is also more complicated to figure out how to undo. The tangle in my mind is much the same way. I've gotten the little knots out of the way, and am now face to face with the real issues. But now that I can see them, I know I can untangle them too.

No comments: