Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Believing in the (Orlando) Magic

I am not a sports fanatic. Oh, I can follow most sports games pretty well (even football, thanks to my years in marching band), but I've never been one to watch a game when I can play one. That being said, I have always been a loyal follower of the Orlando Magic, and can remember the days of Penny, Grant, and Shaq.

The last couple of years have been a resurgence of that old Magic team I remember, and it has been exciting to share the games with my friends and family. I love watching my Mom cheer the players on from our living room, and my Dad and brother yell at the ref. Even I join in on jumping up and shouting for a good play.

This year has been especially fun, as my family found ways to make sure we never missed a Magic game- even in Seattle and Canada. Our first night in Seattle, we hunted down a sports bar to watch the second game of round two of the playoffs. When we went back in the afternoon for game 3, the same waitress who had seated us the first time was there. "Magic playing again?" she asked, then set us up at a table with a clear view of the TV showing the game.

Game 4 happened to fall on the same day as our trip to Canada, and we had come to grips with the fact that we were going to miss it (a hard fact for my Dad and brother), when lo and behold, what do I see as we walk into Victoria, but a sports bar attached to a hotel.

We went in, but thought our luck may have run out when we saw that a hockey game was on, and Canada was playing. But, figuring we had nothing to lose, my brother went up to the bar to explain the situation (and thus proved that Orlando Magic fans can in fact be as loyal as Canadian hockey fans), and they agreed to put the game on one little TV in the back.

So, here we are, in game four of the final round of playoffs, Orlando vs. Boston. The record is 3-0, Boston. I'm not going to make any claims, or predictions (I'm superstitious in two areas of life- theatre, and sports), but I will say it would be great to see one last game in the Amway Arena (I remember when it was the Orlando Arena). And, though I may well be eating these words, I admit that I still believe in the Magic, and I also believe that just because something has never been done, it doesn't mean it can't be. And if you don't get what I mean by that last sentence, I'm not explaining. Superstition, you know.

No comments: