Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, March 22, 2010

67 Books

I am inordinately excited to have been selected as a reader for  67 Books, a project that corresponds with National Library Week. What does being a reader mean? It means I get to stand on the roof of the library and read out-loud from whatever book I choose (within the libraries catalogue) for an hour. I'm actually surprised at how much I'm looking forward to this, though I suppose that's a natural response from someone who spent the greater part of her childhood halfway up a tree reading a book.

But now that I have been selected, a difficult task lays before me. I must choose, amongst thousands of books, the one I want to read.

The task is both daunting and terrifying, and I must admit, I find myself quailing before the challenge.

And so, dear readers, it is up to you. What book shall I read? On the right is a poll where you can vote for the book you want me to read. I have fairly represented both the Greeks and Romans and literature and philosophy. I have also included a few my favourite more modern authors.

Just in case I have overlooked some tremendously good book (and I might be opening a can of worms with this one), you can write in a vote in the comments of this post (and this post only). However, I reserve the right to ignore write-in votes if I so choose. (You can vote and post a write-in if you wish)

8 comments:

Bevdotcom said...

Don't really know how to vote since most of the choices I haven't read. But you represent a unique opportunitiy for the Greeks and the Romans to be read aloud I won't be disappointed if those are chosen...I mean who else will read them? Still I vote for something lyrical since reading out loud is as much about how it sounds as what it says. So I pick the one that you believe "sounds" the best. Then go for it. Top of he Library, huh? Very, very cool!

Andrew said...

Gotta be the Iliad — Fagles' translation, if you're not going to use the original Greek, although that would be pretty epic (if you'll pardon a horrid pun).

Anonymous said...

have you ever thought about "the prophet" author- Kahlil Gibran
:)

Emma said...

Andrew: I'd love to read it in Greek, but I also want my audience to understand it. If it wins, of course it will be Fagel's translation.

Anonymous: I haven't read that book, but I'll put it on my personal reading list.

Emma said...

P.S. Andrew, I was half expecting write in from you for "The Poisonwood Bible".

Claudia said...

How cool that you get to do this! I voted, but won't say here which it was. I'm curious to know what the final choice will be. I love that you get to read from the Top of the Library. I hope you're inside or that it's a lovely day....

Terry said...

I'm glad my book wasn't on the list. I'll be reading "The Tale of Desperaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread" on Sunday at 3 pm and I can't wait.

Emma said...

Terry,

You're lucky I hadn't thought if that! It's one of my favourite books- hands down my favourite children's book. I can't believe I left it off, but I'm glad you'll be reading it.