Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Crazy Week

This has been a busy week for me, though a good bit of it was spent driving. Mercer (the university I went to) was having a conference on ancient political philosophy, and  part of the conference had a panel of five students presenting papers. At the last minute someone backed out, and since my senior honors thesis fit the topic, I was asked if I would come present it.

I agreed, and had a wonderful time reacquainting myself with Mercer. It was home to me for four years, and I had a very real sense of homecoming from the moment I set foot on campus. It was a homecoming to the place, yes, but also to the environment. From my arrival Wednesday afternoon to my departure late Thursday night, I heard 12 papers presented and presented one myself. And while that is a lot of information to take in at once (I was a bit brain-dead by the end of it), the sense of rightness I felt was wonderful.

I’ve learned a lot of things since graduating, good things that I’m glad I had the opportunity to learn. But it has also been a hard time for me, and I missed being in halls of Academia with a kind of hunger. To go from naught to a full day of philosophy was like sating my thirst by diving into an ocean.

To leave you, a thought from Alexander Pope:

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool em

Emma said...

Thanks. Who is this, may I ask?