Check out the book I'm writing!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Sock Monkey Hat

Hey, look...I have a new blog design! Funny how that happens...

Remember how last week I said I was just going to eyeball it on figuring out the mouth on the Sock Monkey hat? Well, thankfully I listened to inner-knitter and went ahead a sketched out my own chart. Unfortunately, it appears that even just considering free-hand design was enough to make the knitting gods decide to spite me and I had just finished the intarsia for the mouth when...half the stitches fell out. I swear. They just came out. I have no idea how or why.

What was left after I ripped back

So, after declaring my eternal loathing for intarsia on Twitter, I ripped back my work, picked up the stitches, and started again. The second time was the charm, and now all I have to deal with is weaving in the ends (ick).

Sock Money Guts

Happy to be done with the difficult part, I packed up my knitting and headed to knitting group. I've made at least a 1/2 dozen hats in my life (probably more, but I don't want to exaggerate) and I like to think I'm a fairly competent, though not  fast, knitter. Besides, I'd just finished making my brother's Christmas hat. Point is, finishing a hat is easy. You just keep knitting in a circle while decreasing stitches.

So, I sat with my group, knitting and chatting, and happily going around and around and decreasing stitches, until I only had a few left. I puller out the yarn needle I'd brought (see...here was my mistake...I was so sure I'd finish that I'd brought a yarn needle) and sewed up the top. I proudly helped up my work to show my group and revealed...the Tin Man Sock Monkey hat.


Sigh. Guess what I'm doing tonight.

P.S. I finished reading Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literay Society, and like last time, was disappointed. Not at the ending, but that it ended.

No comments: