Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Remember

Show of hands...How many of you think of the tsunami that hit Samoa on a regular basis? How about Hurricane Katrina?

Not many, I'm betting. Not to sound cynical, but unless you or someone close to you was directly involved in either of these disasters, you think about them rarly if at all. And such, strange as it may seem now, will evetually be the same with Haiti. The sad fact is that while the media coverage of these events led to huge outpourings of donations and aid, once the media lost interest, so did we.

I hope this is not the case. I hope that the disaster of last week's earthquake will turn into a blessing for Haiti, that the money and supplies and international attention it is getting now will help the nation to rebuild itself better than before.

And with that in mind, I want to encourage you. Yes, give now, but remember to give later. Find a charity that is constantly invovled in helping people when and where they need help, be it Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, or a smaller localized charity. Becuase places like Haiti don't just need aid when disasters stirke- they need constant support to ensure that the people who live there recieve education and have healthy living conditions.

I apologize if this post seems rambling and/or preachy, but this is what has been on my mind today. The incredible support being given to Haiti right now is wonderful, but Haiti needed support long before the earthquake struck, and will need it long after the media loses interest.

Just something to keep in mind.

P.S. I'm sorry if there are any misspelled words. I'm on a computer that doesn't have spell-check tonight.

No comments: