Check out the book I'm writing!

Friday, January 1, 2010

2009

It seems the thing to do right now is to reflect on last year, and while I don't believe in living in the past, I do believe that we can learn from it. So here's my thoughts on 2009, and some of my plans for 2010.

2009 did not go the way I thought it would. This was supposed to be the year I graduated college, started graduate school, and moved out. I suppose 1 out of three is not absolutely horrible, but it is a fact of life that we are often so easily overwhelmed by the negative that we overlook the positive. And, as much as I'd like to say otherwise, I let the negative get the best of me this year.

It's hard when things don't go the way you planned them- especially when the plans were four years in the making. I had a very real sense of uselessness; I had gone to college for 4 years to work towards my goal of graduate school, and suddenly it all seemed pointless. I was living at home and working in field that had nothing to do with my studies. I felt confused, angry, and lost. Oh, it wasn't all bad; I managed to find the good when I could, but it was very, very hard.

All this is to say that I'm not going to miss 2009.

Now, onward to 2010.

This year, I resolve to:
1. Stay positive. I've had it with negative feelings.
2. Live in the moment. All we have is now...its time to live in it and not the future.
3. Keep dreaming and planning, but acknowledge that not everything is in my hands. And that's okay.
4. Continue my training program and complete the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon. And keep running after that.
5. Write more.
And finally, after much debate, I've decided to become what I've always claimed to be and
6. Become a vegetarian (boy, I'm going to miss fish).

Now, for the surprise I said I might have in my last post (I'm assuming at least some of you will like this).  As part of my resolution to write more, I've decided to add a third day to my blog. So, joining Miscellaneous Monday and Fibre Friday is Writing on Wednesday. My Wednesday posts will be bits of fiction, short stories, or poems I've written. My goal is that these will be things I've written during the week, but from time to time I might post some of my older writings.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, a Happy Holiday, and I wish you all the best in 2010!

1 comment:

Bob R said...

Having recently become a consistent visitor to your blog, I consider your surprise to be worth waiting for! Happy New Year, Emma. May all your plans be established.