Check out the book I'm writing!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Today I'm Thankful For.... (Part 3)

Knitting and Running
I know these sound like strange things to be thankful for, but bear with me dear readers, and you will understand why I chose to write about them (I hope).


Knitting


I mentioned in my last post that this past summer was hard for me, but I didn't really go into the details. While struggling to adjust to my new life as not-a-college-student, I stopped doing two of my favourite things...reading and writing. Instead, all I did was watch TV on Hulu. I've never been one to watch much TV, but I found myself easily watching a whole season of Stargate SG-1 in a week. I was searching for distractions, and I found it in TV, when I had previously found it in books.

My brain should have turned into mush from watching all those TV shows, but for one thing. While I was watching TV, I was knitting. And it was knitting that eventually got me away from my computer screen and out spending time with other people. Ann, the owner of The Black Sheep suggested I join Ravelry (think Facebook for knitters and crocheters), and through that site I found the knitting group that helped me find my feet again and start pursuing the things I enjoyed.

Running

Besides knitting, running was the one other thing I did besides watching TV. And like knitting, running helped me to start socializing with others. Most important, running led to me making a friend, my running buddy V.

But more than that, running and knitting are reminders. I can knit because I have the luxury of extra time and money to spend on my hobby. And I can run because my body is healthy and strong. And those things are both worth being thankful for.

No comments: