Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, October 19, 2009

Miscellaneous Monday

In Which I Write About Reading and Announce a Contest

Writing About Reading


I like to read, and I like to write, so I figure it's high time I write about reading (I have actually read about writing before, but that's just making things confusing). Anyways, I'm going to write about my favourite book series.

Whatever you think my favourite series is, you're most likely wrong, for the simple fact that this series is often overlooked and not read or discussed nearly as much as it should be. In fact, I believe I've only met two people who've read it independently of myself. Everyone else I know who's read it did so because I told them to.

If you're one of those people, then you know the series I'm talking about is C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (I almost didn't link this because I feel the article gives too much away, but if you're one of those people who have to know what a book's about before you read it, it is pretty helpful). C.S. Lewis is probably best known for his non-fiction book, Mere Christianity, and his children's fiction series, Narnia (and a lot of other really good books). The Space Trilogy, however, combines the philosophy and theology of his non-fiction with the wonder and discover of his fantasy.

I was given the Space Trilogy by my aunt my senior year in High School, and have read it at least once a year since then. The first time I read it, I confess, it was a little (okay, more than a little) over my head, but the second time through, I was captivated by the story and it's message.  The greatest praise I can give the series is that every time I've read it, I've seen something new, both within the books, and within myself. If you are looking for a reading recommendation, then this is by far at the top of my list.

Announcing a Contest


In honour of Halloween, I have decided to have a pumpkin carving contest. And yes, there is a prize (I don;t know what it is yet, but it will be a good, albeit not very expensive, one).  But just to make things more interesting, the contest will have a theme: Philosophical Pumpkins.

Here are the rules:
1. The theme is deliberately open-ended. Feel free to interpret "philosophical" however you want (but be prepared to defend your interpretation- this is philosophy).
2. You cannot use any third-party designs. By all means look at pumpkin patterns online for inspiration, but do not use them.
3. You can incorporate other objects into your design (yarn, wood, other vegetables, etc.), but at least one part of your design must involve a pumpkin.
4. At least part of your pumpkin must be actually carved, carved being defined as an cut that goes all the way through the pumpkin.
5. You must actually display your design outside.
6. All entries must be received by midnight, Nov. 1

To enter, e-mail a picture of your display to WillWork4Yarn@gmail.com, and include a brief description  of your design. I'll post all the entries on my blog and announce the winner on Nov. 2. If you have a blog, include it in your e-mail and I'll link your entry to it.

Happy carving!

1 comment:

Claudia Lefkowitz said...

I read Lewis's Space Trilogy many years ago and loved it. I may pull it off the shelf and reread it. I think of it most when I'm out walking in the dark of the early morning and can see the stars. Thanks for the gentle reminder.