Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, October 12, 2009

How it Went

It's the .2 that'll kill you


This past Sunday, I ran my first 10k. For those of you not born outside the US, that's 6.2 miles. I ran the Disney Race for the Taste 10k in 1:20:40, which isn't, in my opinion, to shabby for one's first 10k. The course was alternatively fun and beautiful, weaving through Hollywood Studios and Epcot, and following one of the many lakes on Disney property in between.

The music on the course was great, and I teased my running partner, Viv, that she must have picked out the soundtrack, because she knew every song. Whenever I was starting to feel tired, and like I couldn't push through, I'd hear the music and feel myself lifted up and carried on it for a few feet. It was a wonderful experience, and best of all I finished strong, and standing on my two two feet. (I ran the Disney 1/2 Marathon a few years ago, which had the same finish line, and didn't not manage that one so well...my Mom had to pretty much drag/carry me out of the finish chute). The medals were also great. They were shaped like plates with a little fork, knife, and spoon dangling from them.

That being said, there are a few things I would have changed about the race (all presented in good fun. As I said, it was a great race, with a beautiful course, and I had a lot of fun).

1. I want a T-shirt. Going along with the food and drink theme, all the runners got glasses with the race logos on them. But be honest- a glass doesn't give you as many bragging rights as a t-shirt.


2. A 5k split. There wasn't a timing mat at the 1/2 way point to mark your time...or even a sign and a clock should you want to check it yourself. I get that we're in America and use miles, not kilometers, but it would be nice to know when you're halfway through the race.

3. More music :) Headphones aren't allowed on the course, and as a rule-abiding runner, I would have loved to have never had a stretch of road without music.

4. Smaller water bottles at the finish. Seriously- they gave us 1 litre bottles of water when we finished. It took two hand to hold them, two sweaty, shaky, tired hands. I could barely hold the water bottle, much less open it and drink from it.

5. The food selection. Every runner had 3 coupons to get free food samples. Options included grilled salmon, beef, and chicken and rice. Really? Grilled salmon at 9:00 a.m. after running 6.2 miles? The only thing I could manage was the strawberry shortcake (which was amazing).

6. The beverage selection. Each runner also had a drink coupon. Since race for the taste corresponds with the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, my expectations for the after-race beverage options was, well, to be honest, I hoping for something alcoholic g. No such luck. Drink options were: Coke, Diet Coke, Lemonade, and Sprite :(.

Things I liked (to end on a good note):

1. The course. Beautiful.

2. The set-up. Very organized.

3. The lovely tree right in the middle of a hedge. Very useful, don't ask.

4. The medals. Very cool.


5. The music. Excellent for running to.

6. The racing experience as a whole! Fun, exciting, exhilarating...it was great!


Well, that's it for today's regularly scheduled post. Tune in next week for something fibre-y (maybe even before Monday?)!

And if you want to read more about Race for the Taste, I'm betting  Robin from http://www.runningcirclesaroundtheturtles.com will have something on it up soon.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Emma,
Loved your post on 'our' race.:-) Yes, I'm a little behind in my reading, but sooo enjoyed reading your recap, along w/ the lists. Ditto, ditto, ditto! The water bottles were GINORMOUS, weren't they?? And I had the exact same thought about the glass vs. t-shirt thing: would MUCH rather have had a t-shirt! It was a good day, in spite of the crazy weather, the music was fun, and looking at your time, we were running alongside one another... a difference of only a few seconds. Are you running the Turkey Trot or Founders' Day race? Would love to say hi in person! Redhead and I are carpooling for the Founders' Day race, I believe - you're welcome to ride with us. Hubby is our chauffeur (sp?).