Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Confession:

A Poem


I wrote this a few years for an activity the Christian organizations at my college did once called Love/Hate. As part of it, several members on the organizations were asked to write apologies or confessions to the student body.


To Whom It May Concern:
I’m sorry.

I’m sorry for every time I judged you,
acted on that judgment,
or condemned you in my mind.

I’m sorry for every harsh word I’ve spoken in anger,
in jealousy,
in hate.
And for all those that remained unspoken thoughts.

I’m sorry for talking when you needed me to listen,
and for staying silent
when you needed me to speak.

I’m sorry for thinking of myself when you needed a friend,
and for not being there when I said I would.

I’m sorry for every time I turned my back
when you needed me to stay.
And for every lie I’ve told,
and truth I’ve stretched.

I’m sorry for acting like all of this is about me,
as if you didn’t matter.

And most of all,

I’m sorry I waited so long to tell you this.



1 comment:

Robin said...

On a day when I needed to be reminded... thanks for sharing this beautiful poem. :-)