Check out the book I'm writing!

Friday, October 30, 2009

Another Poem

This week seems to have become poetry week. I wrote this about two years ago for a friend. And yes, I know it's a poem about knitting but the title is "Woven" and weaving and knitting aren't the same thing. Poetic licensee.


Woven

My needles catch the yarn.
around, back, slip.
Stitch by stitch the work before me grows.
around, back, slip.
Each completed row falls on my lap.
around, back, slip.

As soon as my hands know the pattern by heart,
around, back, slip.
I stop and look at what is done.
around, back, slip.
Then cast on and start again.
around, back, slip.

Each inch is one more finished,
around, back, slip.
And another inch to go.
around, back, slip.
The yarn runs out and I stop.
around, back, slip.

A new skein stands ready.
around, back, slip.
I weave in the ends and continue.
around, back, slip.
I know where I am going.
around, back, slip.

Wait and you will see it.
around, back, slip.
One day, before you know it.
around, back, slip.
It’s almost there.
around, back, slip.

My needles catch the yarn.
around, back, slip.
This pattern will not wait.
around, back, slip. 

No comments: