Check out the book I'm writing!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The House Sitting Chronicles

Day One- Sunday
I’m spending the week house/pet-sitting for two dogs (Olivia and Lance, both yellow labs), a cat (Oreo), a frog (who may have a name but shall be referred to here as Frog), and a fish (Nim).
I arrived at 8:15 to walk the dogs before leaving to go to church. Oreo met me in the driveway, sniffed the tires of my car, gave my hand a cursory sniff, decided I wasn’t worthy of his attention, and stalked off.
When I went into the house, however, Lance and Olivia were thrilled to see me again. Forgetting I had been shown the location of their leashes yesterday, they pushed me over to them and then enthusiastically wagged their tails while looking back forth between me and the leashes.
When we got outside to walk, the cat joined us, following suspiciously at a distance. The message was very clear. “These two boneheads may trust you, but I’ll be keeping an eye on you”. We finished our walk, and I left for church.
When I arrived back from church, the dogs immediately declared their lifelong loyalty to me by following me into every room I went to. If I sat down, or stayed in a room for an extended period of time, they laid down to wait. If I went to the bathroom, they were waiting outside the door when I left. If I lay down on the couch to read and ignored them for too long, they climbed onto the couch and sat on me.
The dogs and I spent a nice evening together. The cat did not deign to make an appearance, even at suppertime. Nim was fed. I think Frog is alive; I’m pretty sure he moved.
Since Lance and Olivia (who is clearly the more dominate of the two) seemed to be missing their People, I let them sleep on their bed on the floor of the room I was in instead of on the porch.
And that’s pretty much it.

No comments: