Check out the book I'm writing!

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year’s Resolution

“Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But
today is a gift.
That’s why it’s called the Present” (Unknown)
This year I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about the future. I graduate in May and there are a lot of uncertainties. I’m moving out, but where am I moving to? Will I get into graduate school? Which school will I get into? If I don’t get into graduate school, what will I do?
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for
tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own”.
(Matthew 6:34)
Next year will be a year of changes for me, a year of firsts. I’ll be living in an apartment and paying my own bills. I’ll have a job and be supporting myself. I’ll be starting over, most likely in a state I’ve never lived in before. And I wonder if I’ll be able to handle it?
These roses under my windows make no
reference to former roses or better ones; they are for what they are; they exist
with God to-day. There is no time to them. There is simply the rose; it is
perfect in every moment of its existence” (Ralph Waldo Emerson,
Self-Reliance)
I will most probably be farther from my friends and family than ever be before (except when I was in Oxford), and I know that will be hard. I’m going to miss them. In my four years at college I’ve learned so much, and I’ve truly come to love my University and the friends and professors I have there. How hard will it be to leave it all behind?
“And how could we endure to live and
let time pass if we were always crying for one day or one year to come back—if
we did not know that every day in a life fills the whole life with expectation
and memory and that these are that day?” (C.S. Lewis, Out of the Silent Planet)
So this is my New Year’s Resolution. Not to lose weight or work out more (though I do want to train for the Disney Princess ½ Marathon in March). My New Year’s Resolution is this: To live, as much as I can, in the present. I will take what time I’m given and live it as the gift it is. I will try not to worry about tomorrow, or have regrets about the past, but consider the unknown as unknown and accept what has happened yesterday as lessons for today. Today I am alive, and that is all I need to know.
Carpe diem! (Horace)

2 comments:

Bevdotcom said...

Well said! We should all take your advice. Live long and prosper!

cmcewan said...

Hi Emma,

John and I loved your New Years Eve resolution. We are both into setting new goals each year. Yours reminded us of ours which is to enjoy the moment and work at the 80/20 principle. Less is more. We will be praying for God to guide you in the upcoming months and will keep following your progress. Love, Aunt Chris and Uncle John