Check out the book I'm writing!

Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Very Overdue Entry

A real post…at last

So, here is a brief summary of my life at the moment:

Roommates:
This year, I’m rooming with Joanne, Jacquline, and Sarah. Joanne and Jacquline I knew about ahead of time. Sarah surprised us (and herself), when she unlocked the door to our room and found us all sitting in the common area. She’s a pre-pharmacy transfer student from New York, and very nice. The room dynamics are different from last year, when it was just Joanne, Jessica, and I, but we all get along, and that’s what counts.

Jobs:
I have three jobs this semester. I’m tutoring in the Academic Resource Centre, Copy-editor for the school newspaper, the Cluster, and work with the three-year-olds at a local church.

Officially, I’m tutoring Latin, but I’ve also been helping to tutor the lower level Greek classes and, when the other tutors are busy, I also help with writing. For the most part, I don’t have a lot of students come in, and am basically paid to do my homework, which is nice. Sometimes though, I am slammed. The other night a professor required his whole class of freshmen to come in for help on their papers. It turned out the papers were looking at either Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics, or Plato’s Cave. I couldn’t tell if the freshman were scared or impressed at my ability to suggest quotations from the texts from memory.

Work at the Cluster is going well, but keeps me very, very busy. A large portion of my free-time is spent proofing articles, and I spend about 7 hours in the Cluster office every Tuesday fortnight for layout.

Of the three jobs, working at the church is both the most rewarding and most frustrating. Its nice after a rough day to have a three-year-old run up to give you a hug, but not so nice when they dump out all the toy boxes in the room in the 45 seconds it takes me to wash my hands. My classroom is actually two rooms connected by a door, and my kids are convinced that a dragon lives in one of the rooms. I had a knight come in one weekend to chase it away, but apparently that didn’t work, because its still there.

Weather:
Autumn has truly arrived. The days have cool enough to wear a sweater, but not so cold you have to, and the leaves are changing colours and falling off the trees. Today and yesterday have been gray and rainy, and remind me of England.

Graduate School/What I’m Doing After I Graduate:
I don’t want to talk about. It’s stressful, is taking up a lot of my time, and thinking about it keeps me up at night. So don’t ask.

I take the GRE Friday, and am really nervous about it. I’ve been studying for the math sections, and I feel like I know the material but, as always, I struggle to do the calculations. You aren’t allowed to use a calculator of any kind on the GRE, and that’s going to make things really difficult for me. I’m especially worried I won’t be able to finish the section in time.

The End:
So, that’s about it for now. I’m staying busy, and trying not to get overwhelmed. This weekend was Fall Break, and it was much needed. For those of you down in Orlando, I’ll see you on Thanksgiving!

No comments: