Check out the book I'm writing!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First

I’ve always been one of those geeky kids who look forward to school starting, not because I get to see all my friends again, but because I’m ready to learn about something new. In college, where I get to choose my own classes, this has only gotten worse. Now I sit in class and grin like an idiot while looking at the syllabus and seeing what I’ll get to study.

Anyways, yesterday was my first day of classes and I’m reading excited about what I’m taking this year, so I thought I’d share.

My classes are:

Great Books 306: Reason and Revolution
We’ll be reading books from the eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries. Some titles/authors include Adam Smith “The Wealth of Nations”, Immanuel Kant “Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals”, Goethe “Faust”, and Charles Darwin “The Origin of Species”. All told, I have 13 books for the class. I knew it would be a good semester when the instructor announced he had removed the political-science text “Democracy in America” by Alexis Tocqueville with a novel, and instead of cheering, the class grumbled that they had been looking forward to Tocqueville (I did say I was geek).

Greek 385: Selected Texts in the Gospel of Luke
I’ll be translating Luke into English. There’s only one other person in my class, which is nice, but he’s had lot less Greek than me, so the class might move slower than I’m used to.

History 301: Ancient Near East and Greece
Rumoured to be the hardest history course at Mercer, I’m looking forward to learning the non-philosophical history of my favourite country. As a bonus, we’ll be looking at some primary texts, and not just using a textbook. I had history of Ancient Rome with this same professor, and really liked him.

Latin 360: Lyric Poetry
Catullus, Horace, and Tibullus in their own language. What’s not to love? Another small class, with only four students. This semester we’ll also be working with a local middle school that wants to do a Latin program with their students. We’ll get to help design and teach lessons, which I’m really excited about.

PED 144: Ballroom Dancing
Woo-Hoo!

Philosophy 240: Philosophy of Religion
Sooooo excited about this class. Its an introductory level philosophy class, so the work will be on a slightly lower level than I’m used to (which means less stress), but the topics look like they’re going to be amazing.

Philosophy 316: Late 19th and Early 20th Century
Since one philosophy class just isn’t enough. Either this class or history will be my hardest class this semester. I’m not really into modern philosophy, but it’s important to learn. As they say, “know your friends, but know your enemies better”. On the plus side, one of my favourite professors is teaching the course, and the class seems like we’ll really have some great discussions.

So, that’s what I’ll be up to these next 4 months.

Oh! Also a “First”….My baby (18-year-old) brother moves into college today. Which means Mom and Dad are now empty-nester. I love you all!

3 comments:

Andrew said...

They dropped de Toqueville? That is a terrible crime. He's awesome. Who's the professor?

Emma said...

Dr. Jordan

Zachary said...

19th and 20th century philosophy? Since when do you care about anything newer than 1800 years old? =P Sounds like a fun semester. If you get a break in there somewhere you should come down and hang out in Gainesville with the engineers.