Check out the book I'm writing!

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mini Sermon: Part 2&3 of 3

Why Being a Christian is like Being a Study Abroad Student

2. Enjoying a Temporary Life

“For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together” Colossians 1:16-17
There is something about living in another country that is somewhat surreal. As my friend once commented to me, even the money seems like play-money.

I had a choice in Oxford. I knew even before I arrived that my stay was something temporary. I was a visitor, albeit a very long-term one. It would have been easy then not to make an attempt to make Oxford my home. To avoid making friends, for example. But that would have made my stay rather miserable. Instead, I made friends, I found a home church, I got a library card, and even an English sim-card for my phone. Oxford truly became a second home, and I enjoyed my time there.
Our time here on earth is equally temporary, and we have the same decisions to make. We can make this home, a place we love, a place we find comfort and joy, or we can reject everything of the earth and live only for what comes after death. I don’t believe the former is the right choice. The earth is a gift, as is our time upon it. We are not meant to reject it, but simply to acknowledge that it is temporary, that it is not all there is. So yes, go ahead and eat, drink, and be merry. As C.S. Lewis said, God likes wine. He made it.
3. This is not my Home
“But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body” Philippians 3:20-21
I
don’t really have anything new to say in this section. This is simply meant to remind you that this is not our home. Knowing that Oxford was not my home was, many times, a comfort. Whenever I was felt lost or left out, I could remind myself that such feelings were natural. After all, Oxford wasn’t my home. And all those days when you feel depressed, or abandoned, or rejected, I encourage you to remember the same thing. This is not our home. In our home, we will never feel depressed, abandoned, or reject. Because when we are home, we will be where we belong.

No comments: