Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, March 10, 2008

Volunteering!

This Saturday, I had the opportunity to volunteer with a program called K.E.E.N. Its run through Oxford and Brookes Universities, and is for kids and young adults with disabilities.

Saturday was a sports day. The participants in the program are called athletes and the volunteers are coaches. There was one coach for each athlete, and three rotating groups. The first activity I did with my athlete was playing basketball. The one-on-one system was really good, because it allowed each athlete to be able to participate to the degree he was comfortable with.

The next activity was a bouncy castle (after some English v. American English conversations, I was able to confirm that a bouncy castle was in fact a moonwalk). This was probably the favourite activity with all the athletes.

The last activity was Circuits, where the coaches and their athletes went around to different stations that all had different exercises, like jumping-jacks, or bean-bag races.

It was a lot of hard work, but I had a really good time and felt like I was really doing something useful with my time.

No comments: