Check out the book I'm writing!

Friday, March 7, 2008

London, Part Two

In Which I Make a Political Statement

Sunday:

The first stop on Sunday was the British Museum. I don’t think Betsy will ever take a linguist and a classicist to a museum again, but somehow she managed to drag us out of there…eventually. I won’t bore you with all the pictures I took (there was a brilliant Greek and Roman wing), but I must show you one:


See those relief sculptures on the wall behind me? They were once on the Parthenon in Athens. They were removed by Thomas Bruce the 7th Earl of Elgin (hence they are called the Elgin Marbles), which probably saved them from being destroyed. However, I believe (and here’s my political statement) it is time for them to go back to Athens. If you want to know more, here’s a Wiki article about them, and a web-site that offers links to arguments for and against their return (the site is very biased, and if you know of a better one, please post it in the comments section). If you want to know more about my personal position, just ask. I’d be happy to tell you, as Amy and Betsy can vouch. I'd also like to hear other people's views. If you'd like to share, add a comment.

Okay then…moving on….

Our next stop was Buckingham Palace. The flag on top means the Queen is in residence.

Then we went to Westminster Abbey, where I was thoroughly confused by the use of gargoyles (I just don’t understand why they are used to decorate churches).

Then, after paying our respects to Big Ben,
we headed back home.

P.S. I am working on making an online photo album so you can see the pictures I don’t post here.

1 comment:

Zachary said...

Photobucket is a really good place to put your online photos.
-Z