Check out the book I'm writing!

Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Weather

Mark 15:33, NIV “At the sixth hour darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour.”

Luke 22:53 “Every day I was with you in the temple courts, and you did not lay a hand on me. But this is your hour—when darkness reigns."

My Easter began at 4:30 AM, when I woke up to attend an Easter sunrise service on top of the tower at St. Michael’s. When I woke up, it was still dark, and very cold, but already the birds were beginning to sign as I made my way down the bike path into City Centre.

On top of the tower, with no protection from the wind, it was even colder. About 20 people, including Amy and Samantha, had braved the earlier hour and cold air to come. As we stood on top of the tower, singing and praying, the sky slowly grew lighter, but the sun never became visible. The whole sky was covered by a light gray cloud, like a fog that hadn’t settled down yet, and there were none of the oranges and yellows that usually accompany a sunrise.

Still cold, we made our way back into the church for a light breakfast and tea.

Matthew 28:2-3 2 There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. 3His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow.

“Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.”
-Robert Lowry

We had been inside for about half an hour when someone got up to leave. They immdiatly came back and announced that it was snowing outside. I jumped out of my chair and ran to the window to see, leaving Sam and Amy to explain to the others that I was from Florida and hadn’t seen snow very much. Sure enough, it was snowing.

As I walked home, the snow flurries fell heavier and heavier, and I watched in awe as the gathered on the ground, slowly covering more and more area. Before long, there were large patches of earth that were entirely white.

The snow kept up for about an hour, and then began to melt. It never fully blanketed everything, but it was enough that one could easily imagine how the world would have looked if it had.

Isaiah 9:2
“The people walking in darkness
have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death
a light has dawned.”

John 1:5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

John 12:46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

The gray cloud dissipated, leaving giant white clouds in its wake. The clouds were so perfectly formed that they looked more real than the houses behind them. And there, slashing through the clouds to the ground, was the sun.

Charlie Hall
Marvelous Light

I once was fatherless,a stranger with no hope;
Your kindness wakened me,
Awakened me, from my sleep

Your love it beckons deeply, a call to come and die.
By grace now I will come
And take this life, take your life.

Sin has lost it's power,death has lost it's sting.
From the grave you've risen
VICTORIOUSLY!

Into marvelous light I'm running,
Out of darkness, out of shame.
By the cross you are the truth,
You are the life, you are the way

My dead heart now is beating,
My deepest stains now clean.
Your breath fills up my lungs.
Now I'm free. now I'm free!

Lift my hands and spin around,
See the light that i have found.
Oh the marvelous light
Marvelous light

No comments: