Check out the book I'm writing!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

In Which it Not Only Rains, But Pours

and I visit the C.S. Lewis Society, go for a run, and shop at the open market

Last night I joined a couple of people from OOSC for dinner/drinks at the Eagle and Child. Locally, its known as the Bird and the Baby, and is where C.S Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the other “Inklings” use to meet. Appropriately, after dinner, we went to a meeting of the C.S. Lewis Society, a club through Oxford University that brings in people from all over to give talks on Lewis’ works. I enjoyed it a lot, and think I might join the group. But perhaps even more interesting, was what I had to walk through to get to the pub:
Jessica, I think you gave me the best Christmas present ever. Without rain boots, I would be stranded out in Marston. Of course, that didn’t stop me from taking the run I had scheduled myself for this morning. Chris, even you would have to say my run was truly hard-core. I was in freezing water up to my mid-calf for parts of it, and at one point stepped into a hole that was almost up to my knees. All the same, I enjoyed the run a lot, not the least because it was the first time I ever really got to talk to some of my neighbors. I think they were slightly amused at the crazy American running down a flooded trail (yes Mom, I stuffed my shoes with newspaper afterwards).
After my run, I went into town to shop at the open market that’s set up every Wednesday. I got a ridiculous amount of fruits and vegetables for really cheap (including two eggplants- guess who is cooking dinner tomorrow?). I also got this:
And before anyone says anything, consider the fact that it’s me, and imagine the self-restraint I had to exercise to not buy a fish. There are four cacti in the pot, if any wants to suggest names.

I also had my first Greek tutorial, and it went very well.

P.S. Perhaps fearing that it might suffer the fate of my first umbrella, which was blown apart, my second one tried to escape last night. Fortunately, I was able to catch it, but not before taking this picture:

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I propose that you name the cacti Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Bilbo. First literary four-wise grouping that came to mind.

Emma said...

Excellent and fitting names.

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma!
I enjoyed reading your blog. I plan to check back frequently to read about your adventures in Oxford.
Great blog and pictures! Try to stay dry!!!
Now that you are 21, you don't have to call me "Mrs. Sugar" anymore! Happy belated birthday!!

Amy Sugar